G.I. Joe Classified Regal Cobra Commander

 

When I received my notifications last weekend that the Target exclusive Viper and Firefly had shipped, it reminded me that I had a box sitting in my toy room which had actually arrived just before Christmas. This box.


Because you've already read the title to this post, I have to assume you already know where this is going, so let's pop that bad boy open.

Box wise, if you've seen the retail version of Cobra Commander, then you've seen this one. Not even the name is different, despite being referred to as "Regal" on Hasbro Pulse.





With exception of the brighter blue and gold accents, the figure too is the same as the retail version. However, because these colors match closer to that of the original Cobra Commander, this version is definitely my favorite.





Accessories wise, while they have a different, and dare I say, far superior paint job to that of the retail version, both the pistol and dagger are the exact same sculpts. The red and gold on the dagger looks really nice together. Again we get those extra set of hands, which in the long run do nothing for me personally.


It's because of all of these similarities between the figure and accessories to that of the retail version, that there's honestly not much more to say about Regal Cobra Commander. Quite frankly, this is the third version of the character we've gotten to date, and it's starting to feel fatigued.

To me, it's the equivalent of Hasbro announcing Roadblock in the original wave one of Cobra Island. My reaction at this point is, "What, again?" I really hope Hasbro doesn't fall back too much on re-releases and repaints. That will kill this line fast. Despite the relatively short term this line has been in existence, Regal Cobra Commander is the second of what will be three repainted figures to date. The aforementioned Roadblock being the first, and the repainted Cobra Trooper the third.

For what it's worth, here's the figure all decked out.

And, here's the state of the shelves for the series to date.

(Front to back / left to right)
Deluxe Snake Eyes*Roadblock
Snake Eyes, Destro (circle head)*Destro (no circle)*Duke
Scarlet*Cobra Commander*Regal Cobra Commander*Gung Ho
Red Ninja*Snake Supreme Cobra Commander*Beach Head (green eyes)*Beach Head (blue eyes)

(Front to back / left to right)
Roadblock*Cobra Trooper (black collar)*Cobra Trooper (blue collar)*Baroness
Arctic Mission Storm Shadow*Profit Director Destro

Figures still to come down the pike are Firefly, Cobra Viper, Zartan, Cobra Infantry, Flint and Lady Jaye. 2021 looks to be off to a good start, in terms of a solid lineup of new figures.

On a side note, I was tooling around ebay, taking a look at what all the enablers were paying for the new Cobra Island wave, and was rather annoyed with a listing I came across. The guy had the Cobra Viper for $90.00, which was outrageous in and of itself, but what really annoyed me was that on top of that he wanted $10.00 for shipping. Really? You're going to charge over four times retail, and you can't even ship for free?

Humans are so greedy. Please don't enable this behavior. I know that everyone wants these figures, but don't send the message that it's okay for people to act this way by padding their pockets.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

4 comments:

  1. I've never wanted to play with an action figure more than whenever I pass by my Classified figures. Thanks to you I have a nice jump off point, and recently picked up a Pimp Daddy Destro figure. I like to call figures like this " chunky" ! They're just a blast to pose and take pictures of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome!

      Play away! It's good clean fun!

      Delete
  2. Nice! I didn't order this Cobra Commander and now I kind of regret not doing so. The colors do look nice. At least it's just a standard repaint without any new stuff. I don't live too close to a Target (about 30 minutes to my closest) and with Covid rampant in my area we're really just not going anywhere so I'm not sure what my chances are going to be with the Viper and Firefly. Sure wish I could just have preordered them from a regular etailer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel you on the Target figures. I have two Targets within a five mile radius of my house, and even that is the utmost futile of attempts.

      This Cobra Commander figure was actually my turning point in the series of whether or not I was going to collect them. By not pre-ordering it, I was tapping out. By pre-ordering it, I was committing to being all in.

      Delete