Retro Spins: Buster Poindexter - Buster Poindexter

 

I had no expectations for Buster Poindexter's self titled debut album. I bought it for Hot, Hot, Hot, a simply party song that was played at every 80's party in 1987, but nothing I would call a serious song. I thought the singer was going to be a novelty at best, with songs geared more towards goofing off and being part of the scene.

I was wrong.

Buster Poindexter, the album, digs deep into the roots of rhythm and blues, and delivers a unique listening experience. Not only that, but the vocals amplify with passion. I quickly found tracks stood far superior to the likes of his 80's party anthem, and quickly became some of my favorites. Are You Lonely For Me Baby and Oh Me Oh My (I'm A Fool For You Baby) are amazing, and I recommend people looking for some good tunes to listen to should check them out. Especially if you're a fan of rhythm and blues.

Buster even does a fair rendition of classic, The House Of The Rising Sun. The original 1964 version from The Animals is of course far superior, but his isn't the worst remake I've heard...cough cough, American Pie...cough...Madonna.

Hearing this album made me immediately seek out Buster's 1989 follow up album, Buster Goes Berserk. While I have it in my collection currently, I haven't gotten around to giving it a spin, but definitely need to in the near future.

I definitely think this one is worth checking out by those of you who like some good new music that won't be the typical cut and paste of the era. I thoroughly enjoyed my play session.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment