Retro Spins: Culture Club - Kissing To Be Clever



I'll be honest, I didn't really expect Culture Club's Kissing To Be Clever to be any better than their 1983 Colour By Numbers. I really more so listened to it because I wanted to determine if I was going to bother tracking down their 1984 Waking Up With The House On Fire.

I know Culture Club has it's hits, and I'll be fair and say those hits are amazing. However, what I was hoping to find out was if the non-hit tracks were strong enough to justify digging further into the band. Let's be honest, critically wise, their 1984 album didn't blow anyone away.

I digress though. Let me jump into Kissing To Be Clever.

Right off the bat, it wasn't really hitting a high note. White Boy wasn't a truly fantastic song. However, You Know I'm Not Crazy had something about it which was intriguing in sound. It wasn't the cabana style sound, but more so the notes Boy George was hitting. I decided to add it to my shuffle list for a later hearing. A second scoop if you will.

While I wish I could say things only got better from there, I kind of lost interest in the album completely in lieu of something else I was working on. I let it play out, but I honestly can't say anything pulled my attention back to it.

Because of this, I won't be making their 1984 album a priority. I just don't think it's going to be worth grabbing immediately. Eventually, I'll probably get around to it. For now, there's other things on my list.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment