Nintendo Entertainment System (Lego)


Ah Lego. How I hate thee. Don't get me wrong. Lego has a lot of creative sets. I just don't have the patience or desire to build any of them. It's work. Annoying work. Fragile work.

A set that I was intrigued with when I saw it today at the local Lego Store was this amazing looking Nintendo Entertainment System. However, for how cool it looked, I simply lost interest in it fast. That was when I saw the price tag of $230.00. Coupled with my lack of desire to build it, I had to walk away.

Here was my biggest problem. The price may have been justifiable if it was a functional console. However, it's not. Not at all. While the television boasts a crank feature to scroll through a level, playing a physical cartridge is a no go. You could also potentially get sound effects out of the set. BUT, in order to do so, you have to have a Lego Mario figure...Which is going to cost you more money since it's only available in the Adventures of Mario starter set. Go ahead and drop another sixty dollars for that.

Lego has always been far more expensive than it really needs to be, and the bottom line is that it's driven by greed. Lego knows customers will pay up, so what is their incentive to lower prices?

Hear me out.

In business, a standard line of profit is considered ten percent. High profit is twenty percent and low profit is five percent. Lego not only collects higher than the standard ten percent profit, but in most cases, exceeds high profits at a whopping twenty-five percent profit margin per set. That means for every one hundred dollars you spend, twenty-five dollars is all profit to Lego. That's crazy!

To make matters worse, most of their "toys" are no more than glorified display pieces. Even the ones that can be played with are typically so fragile that a lot of people wouldn't - Unless they want to keep rebuilding them.

Maybe it's just me. I mean, I've long since accepted that Lego isn't a toy for me. Maybe this is just a continuation of that understanding. What do you think of sets like this, or Lego in general?

Since I'm on a role of complaining about things I hate, I'll go ahead and throw out there that I hate the new Blogger. It's irritating to use. I reverted back to the "Legacy" format. However, if they make it so I have to use the new version down the road, I can honestly see myself parting ways with the site. The new model is garbage.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the new Blogger interface! It doesn't work as expected when I am creating a post. I am still using the legacy interface, but they are threatening to to force us into the new interface at the end of the month... the same thing happened over on deviantArt last year and it has taken all of the fun out that. I'm afraid the same thing will happen here. I don't like wordpress and moved here because I like how I could make blogger do what I wanted without having to spend money. So I don't have anyway of escaping...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope they don't. I couldn't even add a photo the way I wanted in the new interface. Can't people just leave well enough alone? You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

      Delete
  2. My son wants this NES Lego set so bad, but the price point is keeping us from getting it for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sucks, because Lego's never go on sale unless it's right before they're discontinued, and then the "investors" buy them all up to sell later.

      Delete