Retro Spins: Xanadu



I've never seen the movie Xanadu, nor do I honestly have any interest to.

XANADU is a look at the future and a loving remembrance of the way things were in the heyday of Hollywood. The musical score includes the hit songs "Magic," "I'm Alive," "All Over The World," "Suddenly," and the title song "XANADU." Olivia Newton-John, the screen's newest love goddess, will dazzle your senses with her luminous beauty and beautiful voice. She and Gene Kelly star in this dazzling musical fantasy. The 40s meet the 80s in XANADU, a very special love story and the first lavish, old-fashioned musical to utilize today's music. - The back cover of the original VHS

The back cover of the VHS does state it correctly. Olivia Newton-John does have a beautiful voice, and she brings her all to the soundtrack in conjunction with Electric Light Orchestra. Jeff Lynne of  ELO takes the majority of the writing credits (having penned all of side two of the album). However, there are several contributions to the album vocally, such as Olivia Newton-John, The Tubes, Cliff Richards and even Gene Kelly. It's a fantastic conglomeration of talent all under one record jacket.

What I like most about the soundtrack is its mixture of 80's and 40's style sounds - some of which gets combined in tracks. A perfect example of this is Dancin', which has a fun almost doo-wop soda shop sound to it. Because this is Olivia Newton-John, after all, you will run into a few ballads throughout the album. However, the majority of it takes the lead from ELO's style of fantastic pop synth and orchestra string style music, which I really enjoy. As such, I do have to say I favor side two of the album over side one.

When you hear the building beginning of I'm Alive, you get on the edge of your seat with an, "Oh dang, something is about to happen," feeling. Then it blasts at you with the drums and acoustic guitar as the song takes off. You then get The Fall, a track which features an almost haunting Jeff Lynne echoing in your ears. Don't Walk Away and All Over The World are good, but don't thrill as much as the first two. The album culminates in the film titled, Xanadu, which features a fantastic duet between Olivia Newton-John and Electric Light Orchestra. The producers were saving the best for last I guess.

Overall, I really liked this album. It was different, but at the same time really good. Perhaps it's because while it was a commercial success, it's not like I was pelted with it repeatedly on 80's airwaves. At least not by 1982, when I really started paying attention to music. It was a nice change of pace, and one I'll keep in the back of my mind when I need to get away from mainstream music, but still sit down with something enjoyable from start to finish.

Hmm...Maybe I will check out the movie.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment