With it would come his greatest hit single, Fishnet, which shot up to the number one spot on the R&B charts that same year. It would also land at number twenty-three on the Billboard Hot 100. As a whole, the album would mirror the success of its predecessor, reaching number seven on the R&B charts, but falter a bit on the Billboard 200, where it would fall a couple steps behind, reaching number forty-one (in comparison to Color Of Success clocking in at number thirty-seven).
Despite its success, Spin Magazine would provide a harsh critique of the album, calling it "musical Chinese food without the fortune cookie. As soon as they're finished, you don't remember if you heard 'em or not." Ouchie! That's mean! But is it accurate?
Kind of. It's a decent album. I wouldn't say I heard anything bad, and I did manage to hear two standout, Are You Ready, and Standing On The Line. However, the remainder was relatively forgettable. Truthfully, I wasn't even all that intrigued with the number one single, Fishnets. In fact, as I type this, I couldn't even tell you how that song goes.
As I said above, it's decent, but forgettable. Beyond that, there's not much to say about it. Truthfully, I doubt I'll remember the two standouts noted above past today.
While Morris hoped to launch a consecutive film career alongside his musical one, this didn't translate to well for him. He would appear in small roles, such as for Richard Prior's Moving (1988), as well as Andrew Dice Clay's The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (1990), the latter which will always invoke Booty Time in my head!
Um...where was I? Oh, right, Morris Day's acting career.
He would later reprise his role in Prince's Graffiti Bridge and show up with The Time in Kevin Smith's Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back. Mind you, these are just the noteworthy ones for me. In total, he's appeared in nine movies, including Purple Rain. He's also played roles in half a dozen television shows, which included main casting for 1990's New Attitude, and 2004's Da Boom Crew.
Day also reunited with the time several times and continued to perform with them as Morris Day And The Time until the 2022 dispute from Prince's estate. Purportedly, upon his death, Prince's estate issued notice to Day that if he wished to continue using the name that he would be required to pay them a fee for said use. There's no record that shows he agreed to do so, but as of this writing, they do have shows scheduled throughout the year.
On a totally unrelated note, my 80's movie collection has filled out quite nicely.
![]() |
| Watching John Carpenter's The Thing for the first time. Great movie! |
Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.
Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.










No comments:
Post a Comment