Retro Spins: Bobby Brown - Don't Be Cruel



I don't know if my first introduction to Bobby Brown was his 1988 solo album or his 1989 contribution to Ghostbusters 2. Whichever it was, I do know neither I nor more brother had Don't Be Cruel. Instead, we enjoyed BB via his 1989 remixed album, Dance!...You Know It, and of course, the Ghostbusters 2 Soundtrack. Well, today I thought I'd go ahead and rectify all of that and actually fire up this now classic album.

It all starts up with an instrumental prelude, which is quite honestly forgettable. However, this thirty-seven second ditty quickly gets out of the way so that tracks Don't Be Cruel and My Prerogative can take center stage. These two are followed by Roni, and it's at this point that the bar has been set really high for the remainder of the album.

Unfortunately, it's a bar which can't be met or topped. Every Little Step and Rock Wit'cha follow Roni, and then it feels like the remaining tracks become throw away. They're just not any good.

I really dig the hits on this album, but as for the rest, I can pretty much leave it.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment