Aqua Teen Forever: Plantasm

 

It had been almost seven years since Aqua Teen Hunger Force was unceremoniously cancelled on Cartoon Network / Adult Swim, all because Adult Swim President, Mike Lazzo, was ready to move on from it. As such, it was both odd and exciting to hear in early 2022 that the trio were coming back for an all new full length animated film.

Aqua Teen Forever: Plantasm, wouldn't see a movie theater release. Instead, it would be released directly to home video on November 8, 2022. However, what was interesting about the physical media release was that there wasn't a DVD format. Rather, the only options for buying were Blu-Ray, or 4K Ultra HD. Of course, those not interested in actually owning the film could "purchase" it in digital format.

Because I didn't necessarily follow the release beyond the initial trailer I found on YouTube, I actually ended up missing the film's release until it came to HBO Max on February 8, 2023. It was also at this time that I discovered the lack of DVD release, which made buying a physical copy a bit unappealing.

The film certainly has its charm of nostalgia by way of bringing back the entire original cast. Additionally, there were some funny moments where I chuckled. Though overall, the film simply left me wanting more.

Yes, it was definitely the Aqua Teens. Yes, there were funny moments. But, part of what made the original series so appealing to me was the randomness it brought with it. It was these moments that truly allowed for the humor to flow, and it was also this which was missing from the film. Rather, the writers found a plot point, and stuck to it to a "T".

For a regular movie, this would have been great, a necessity even. However, for Aqua Teens, it diminishes opportunities to break out of the mold and deliver comedy at its finest. Not allowing the story to breath and flex makes it feel restrained and constrained.

I feel like the writers wanted to do this via the Mooninites film interruption segments. Unfortunately, these only work once, and then quickly become annoying when it continues to happens. It only brings to light more that the people behind it didn't have many ideas, forcing them to rely on the same trope over and over.

The other elephant in the room is also the fact that it's been seven years since the Aqua Teens were relevant. That's a long time, and a lot has changed since then. It's entirely possible that my time apart from what was once my favorite cartoon series simply allowed me to grow apart from it.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy to see the movie, and I don't feel like I wasted my time in doing so. But....How do I explain this? It's like reuniting with an old friend. You're happy to see them again, but you also realize you no longer have anything in common to connect with each other beyond a memory of good times you used to have. Maybe, just maybe, for me, the ship has sailed for Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and it would have been better to leave it alone.

As I wrap up this review, I'm saying to myself, "Maybe I should watch it again." But, when I think back on the movie in my mind, honestly, I really don't want to.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment