Retro Spins: Go-Go's - Beauty and the Beat



Go-Go's
Beauty and the Beat
1981

The Go-Go's burst onto the scene in July of 1981 with their debut album Beauty and the Beat and immediately saw success as their song Our Lips Our Sealed quickly hit the charts in August of that same year and clawed its way to the top twenty's by January of the following year.

Though it would start to slip down the charts again at this point, We Got the Beat which had also made its debut on the charts in January climbed all the way to the number three spot before starting its decline.

However, by July a third Go-Go's tune was working its way up the charts - Vacation from their follow up album. This hit made it to number eight before starting to fall off the charts again.

With how popular the Go-Go's were, it pains me to say Beauty and the Beat is pretty terrible (in my own personal opinion). Sure, I'll take Our Lips Are Sealed and We Got the Beat, but that's about it. Nothing else on this album impresses me. I don't know if I'm missing something, being picky or if the Go-Go's simply aren't for me.

I tried listening to this album from start to finish and quite honestly I was so bored with it to the point where it became annoying background noise. You know the kind where you're like, "I really wish that racket would stop." The worst part about it was that with the simple click of a button I could have ceased my torment, but pushed forward to the end thinking something else on this album had to be good. Honestly, I found nothing.

Like I said above, I'll stick to the two chart toppers...Which now that I think about it, clearly I'm not the only one. I like the only two songs on the album which managed to chart. So at some point the entire country must have felt the same way I do right now.


Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment