Big Lick NOVA 2024 - John Beatty

 

The main comic talent I came to Big Lick NOVA 2024 to see was John Beatty. John is one of the most well known inkers and artists of the 80's, having worked on hundreds of books across all spectrum of heroes and villains. In addition to getting a lot of books signed, I wanted to get a sketch from him. Unfortunately, when I told him what I wanted, he said he didn't do that type of in depth work at shows. He favors remarks, and head sketches, but these were frankly priced too high. You can see his prices on the flier to his left.

Instead of getting any drawings, I opted to focus on what I brought with me.

First up was my entire run of Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars. This was a must have for my Spider-Man symbiote series, being the mini-series where it all started.

First release error print (white Galactus).
Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023,
and purchased pre-signed by
Michael Zeck on the first page

First print with error corrected.
Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Second print.
Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023, and
Bob Wiacek at Baltmore Comic
Con 2023


Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
and Rick Leonardi at
Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023, and
Bob McLeod at Baltmore Comic
Con 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

In the same vein I also wanted to get a couple issues of Marvel Age, which featured previews, and behind the scenes of the series.

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
and Rick Leonardi at
Big Lick NOVA 2023,
and Jim Salicrup at
Awesome Con 2024

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

I took the opportunity to also get my GraphicAudio edition of the story arc signed. Still kicking myself for forgetting to get Bob Wiacek to sign this at Baltimore last year.

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023, and
Bob McLeod at Baltimore Comic Con 2023

There were also a handful of other non-Spider-Man related titles I wanted to get signed. First up was my set of The Punisher mini-series.

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Also signed by Jim Shooter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023

Followed by the two issue The Thanos Quest mini-series.

Also signed by Renee Witterstaetter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023,
and Jim Starlin at
Baltimore Comic Con 2023

Also signed by Renee Witterstaetter,
at Big Lick NOVA 2023,
and Jim Starlin at
Baltimore Comic Con 2023

Beatty was charging $10.00 per signature, with exception of Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars number 8, which he charges $30.00 for. You can thank the scalpers for that.

Lastly, I picked up a few prints. Though I'm not going to turn down a good Spider-Man drawing, my goal moving forward is to also broaden my horizon of images to hang on my wall. Spider-Man is great and all, but I'd like to start getting some variety. What better way than to start with this awesome Punisher.


Beatty also had a Wolverine and Captain America one, but since his prints were three for fifty, I of course gravitated to the Spidey related ones from there.

My girl dropped this in
the parking lot, causing damage to
the top...so that was disappointing


All and all, not a bad bit of signatures. Though it took me a while, well past the initial draft of this post, I made my way to Michaels for frames, and got them hung up with all the others.



Click "
HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

3 comments:

  1. As good as Infinty Gauntlet and Civil War were, I still think Secret Wars is where it's at. It has to be one of if not the most popular story arc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. If you have time, also check out 1982's Marvel Super Hero Contest of Champions. It's touted as the very first Marvel Comics crossover mini-series, and in hindsight is very familiar to the story outlined in 1984's Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars.

      Delete
  2. Rings a bell. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete