Prior to listening to her album, Faster Than The Speed Of Night, I think I could count the number of Bonnie Tyler songs I knew on one hand of a Ninja Turtle; Total Eclipse Of The Heart, and I Need A Hero. An interesting tidbit about the latter was that while it came out in 1984 on the Footloose soundtrack, was that it would be dusted off for her 1986 studio release, Secret Dreams And Forbidden Fire.
But I'm getting way too far ahead.
Born Gaynor Hopkins on June 8, 1951, she was discovered by Roger Bell at the age of twenty-four (1975) performing with her band, Imagination under the name, Sherene Davis. It was the name she'd switched to in 1969 to avoid confusion with Welsh folk singer, Mary Hopkins. However, when RCA Records began negotiating her contract shortly thereafter, she was once again prompted to change it, selecting Bonnie Tyler.
RCA would choose a unique strategy to promote their new artist, inviting thirty journalists to meet her over a four-course meal. This was followed by the single, Lost In France, which would climb the local charts to number nine, prompting an appearance on Top Of The Pops. The release of her next single, More Than A Lover would not be as favorable, and actually be banned by the British children's TV series, Get It Together. Tyler would actually be grateful for the offhanded exposure and publicity.
Folling this, her 1977 debut, The World Starts Tonight would hit store shelves. While it would fail to chart in the UK, it would peak at number two in Sweden. However, persistent singing would lead her to visit a doctor for a chronic sore throat. It was here that she learned that nodules had grown on her vocal cords, necessitating surgery. Though the procedure was successful, she was instructed to rest her voice for six weeks. During this recovery period, frustration would lead her to screaming out, creating her permanent raspy tone.
1978's Natural Force, issued in the USA as It's A Heartache would be the first to feature her new, and signature vocals. The album would go gold in the USA, and platinum in Canada. While this prompted her first US tour, RCA also wanted another album straight away, leading to 1979's Diamond Cut. By this time, Tyler was growing frustrated with the label, feeling they were pushing her to record country-oriented music, something she didn't want to do. Though she'd finish her contract with them with 1981's Goodbye To The Island, upon being invited to renew for an additional five albums, she'd instead walk away.
It's interesting that Tyler felt this way, because as I was playing through the album, my mind kept trying to decipher what it sounded like. It was upon reading about the reference to country music that it clicked, and felt very much so prevalent with the current track I was on, At first, Wild Side Of Life, and the one that followed, Whiter Shade Of Pale.
That aside, what it definitely sounds is dated. Mind you, I'm not saying it's bad. It just doesn't hold up well, quality wise. You know how some old albums have that flat sound to them?
Music Lesson: Old albums often sound flat because they lack dynamic range and deep bass. Vinyl physical limitations required cutting low-end frequencies so the needle wouldn't skip. Early recording equipment (like primitive tape machines), mono mixing, and mastering meant for AM radio also restricted the overall depth.
There were physical and historical limitations. These included:
Vinyl Mastering: To keep the needle from jumping out of the groove, engineers rolled off low-end frequencies and compressed the audio.
Frequency Roll-Off: Early microphones, analog tape, and cutting lathes simply couldn't capture the ultra-low or ultra-high frequencies we are used to today.
Dynamic Range: Unlike modern music created during the "loudness wars" which pushes overall volume to the max, older records have a lower average volume.
So, yeah, basically the vinyl mastering is what this one has. But with all that aside, there's still good songs to be found. For me, these were I'm Just A Woman, Wild Love, and Sitting On The Edge Of The Ocean. No, it's not the best I've heard from Bonnie Tyler, but it's serviceable.
After her contract expired, Tyler obtained a record deal with Columbia, who prompted her to begin the search for a producer that she wanted to work with. Though her first choice was Meat Loaf alum, Jim Steinman, she also considered Phil Collins, Jeff Lynne and Alan Tarney. With Steinman flat out declining, she may have indeed had to go with a backup plan. However, after sending him some rock demos she was working on, and meeting with him, he would ultimately agree, leading to her biggest album at the time, the aforementioned 1983's Faster Than The Speed Of Night.
As I noted above, I've already played through that one, so my next stop is her 1986 released, Secret Dreams And Forbidden Fire. But before I head there, fun fact. Did you know that after the second verse of the song, Getting So Excited from Faster Than The Speed Of Night, that Jim Steinman speaks the words, "I'd do anything for love, but I won't do that"? Foreshadowing to Meat Loaf's comeback song? You decide.
Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.
Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment