When did Loverboy hit my radar in the 80's? It's a question I truly have for myself. Did I know their hits, Working For The Weekend, The Kid Is Hot Tonite (P.S. not how you spell that), Lovin' Every Minute Of It, Hot Girls In Love, Turn Me Loose, and When It's Over? Candidly, if I did, I didn't associate it with them. Instead, I think they hit my radar with their 1986 contribution to the Top Gun soundtrack with Heaven In Your Eyes.
The band was an early addition to my 80's want list when I started building my CD collection, but not necessarily everything. My sights were initially on their 1980 self-titled debut, 1981's Get Lucky, and 1985's Lovin' Every Minute Of It. Essentially, I was after the hits I knew, and these albums were where they were hiding. However, as often happens, I came across others in a used CD show, picked them up, and then eventually finished off the list in anticipation of this series of Retro Spins.
Upon the release of their debut, it became not only their breakthrough, but a massive success, peaking in the top twenty in four countries. It would fare the best in the UK where it landed at number five. With it would come the Billboard Hot 100 hits, The Kid Is Hot Tonite, and Turn Me Loose, which reached number fifty-five and thirty-five, respectively.
With its hot synthesizer and guitar rock blend, the album comes off as a solid comparison to that of what was being churned out by The Cars and The Babies at the time. It was quite enjoyable, and by track four, I hadn't heard anything I wasn't digging.
Sure, by this point it had already hit me with the two aforementioned hits, bit in addition had delivered Always On My Mind, and Lady Of The 80's. When Little Girl came up next, my mind immediately shot to Oingo Boing. Not only did they have a song similar in title, but very different in context, but Loverboy was sounding a bit like their early decade material as well.
I didn't expect to like a song titled, Prissy Prissy, but it actually had a pretty catchy lyrical hook, and a solid guitar riff. By this point, I was really asking myself, "Self, where has this album been all my life?" I really enjoyed everything from it, and I'm down with keeping this momentum going by immediately jumping into 1981's Get Lucky.
There's not much to say in between all of that, and beyond continuing to elaborate on the enjoyable listening session, which I think I've more than made the point on, the only other thing to do is be on my way to their next album. Okay, actually I will say this; if you haven't heard this one, I highly recommend you check it out. But now I'm out of here.
Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.
Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:
Post a Comment