If you were to have told me prior to starting my latest Retro Spin series that Simply Red was a band who have charted in the top ten in the UK with every single album they've released from their 1985 debut through their latest 2023 release, I'd have told you that's not possible. The Holding Back The years guy? That's not even that good of a song. But it's true. Thirteen albums in a row have all gone top ten, with the lowest being number eight, and the highest, and multiple, being number one.
As I kind of hinted at, one of the band's most noteworthy hits is a song I didn't even think was all that good. In fact, when I started putting together my 80's collection, they really only got included as an honorable mention of sorts. An, "I'll buy it because they had hits" scenario. So, the question I hope to answer starting today is, "What have I been missing?"
Though I knew they had a unique pop sound from the hits I knew, what I didn't expect was the smooth soul sound that they implemented into a lot of their work. For example, Sad Old Red could easily be played in a local jazz club, I dare say even to this day. It has a slick bass line, and is filled in with a selection of horns, and a slick swing feel in the drums. The vocals of Mick Hucknall really shine through. So much so that when the upbeat pop tune, Look At You Now follows, the latter feels out of place. I found myself actually wanting more jazz versus pop.
Yeah, sure you'll get their big hits from the record, the aforementioned Holding Back The Years, and Money's Too Tight (Too Mention), but in between that you get a solid record that really caught me personally off guard. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this one. I think I've grown a new appreciation for the two mentioned hits, but also came away with Sad Old Red, Heaven, Jericho, and No Direction.
All and all, it was a pretty solid start, and I'm down with hearing some more from Simply Red. Who knows, I may indeed find out what I was missing.
Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.
Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment