Retro Spins: The Rolling Stones - Steel Wheels

 

By 1989, the infamous Jagger / Richards feud had been full fledge for six years. This all began during the recording sessions for 1983's Undercover, spawned by disagreements in musical directions. It blew up even further when Mick opted to focus on a solo career, kicking that off with 1985's She's The Boss, and then opted to work on his second album, instead of tour with the Stones for their 1986 released, Dirty Work (though he would later state this decision was based on the at the time state of drummer Charlie Watts). Keith in turn would launch his own solo career in 1988, releasing Talk Is Cheap.

The two would finally come to terms in "peace talks" in May of '89, deciding that the legacy and brand of the band was more important, and that they needed each other to stay relevant in the industry. Especially Richards, who's solo career didn't take off as he expected. Despite this, the two didn't fully bury the hatchet until around 2013, after Richard's published 2010 memoires, where he apologized for his behavior towards his longtime bandmate.

Steel Wheels needed to be a hit record and serve as comeback for The Rolling Stones. To support this, the Stones kicked off a massive world tour, consisting of three legs, and one hundred fifteen shows. The album would spawn the Billboard Hot 100 number nine hit, Mixed Emotions, and be followed by Rock And A Hard Place, which peaked at number twenty-three. While they would continue to chart over the following years, the latter would be the last top forty hit from the band to date.

Critics would be mildly supportive of the record, stating it was certainly a return to form, and the Jagger and Richards had returned to the element they thrived in. Others would claim it does its job, serving as the comeback the band needed. It's even gone on to be listed among Colin Larkin's All Time Top 1000 Albums.

I guess "return to form" is code for more of the same. For me, it just sounds like a continuation of the four releases that came before it. There are okay songs, but mostly nothing really worth jumping up and down for. I'm to the point where the Stones are like the Beatles. Wherein, I guess you had to be there to really understand the hype. I just don't hear anything special from them. I'll elaborate more on that below.

When Mixed Emotions kicked on, I did get a little treat in the form of, "Oh yeah, I know that song!" I do love when that happens. I would definitely say that this one, and Rock And A Hard Place are the standout tracks, but I suppose that's no surprise considering they were the charting singles from the album.

At the end of it all, I still find myself not necessarily a fan of The Rolling Stones, but at the same time, I can't necessarily say this is their fault. I think the biggest thing the band have working against them at this point is that they've influenced so many people that in turn have ripped their sound and style off thousands of times over the past several decades. As a result of me listening to these albums thirty plus years later, the impact is gone because at this point it's been (re)done a lot. With that said, I will definitely agree that the band can and do deliver a solid rock and roll sound.

While I would normally use this portion of my post structure to talk about where the band has gone since, and what they're up to now, much like their history, this is kind of irrelevant. At this point, they're beyond a legacy and iconic act. There's not much I can really fill in that millions of people don't already know. So, instead, I'll just head off on the hunt for my next Retro Spins series.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment