Birthday Outings


One of the things I like about my birthday is that my girl and I will wander around a shop or two off the beaten path. Of course, this is typically a toy, CD or comic shop, but hey, that's alright with me. That's my idea of fun.

Though I had eaten by birthday bowl of cereal at 4:30 AM, by 9:00 AM, I found myself getting hungry again. My girl was too, as she had just recently woken up. As such, we decided to head to a local diner, Joe's Cafe. With a name as plain as "Joe", you know it's gonna be good eatin'!

We frequent this place, so much to the point that I pretty much know the entire menu front to back. I got me a delicious chorizo breakfast burrito.

From there, we...well...truthfully, we headed back home. Chorizo doesn't mix well with a body that has no gall bladder. I'm sure it didn't help much that I also had my procedure the day prior.

Anyway...

A short while later, we were headed back down the road towards College Park, Maryland, to hit CD Depot. I'd been here before, and while I remember the place being cluttered, and difficult to maneuver as a result, I still wanted to go back. With so much stock, there had to be something to find in the world of used CD's.

The place didn't disappoint, in terms of the mess and disorganization. Nothing has changed here.



I wouldn't want to be anywhere near this place if a fire broke out. I certainly wouldn't want to be inside.



As I set upon perusing, one thing I was quickly reminded of was the poor organization of this place. While things are relatively in alphabetical order, things don't necessarily continue feasibly as one would expect. For example, the rock section starts on the far left wall. While you would think that upon hitting the end of the row that the albums would either continue on the back wall, or behind you on the shelf there, this isn't the case. Rather, you have to go to the opposite side of the store to find P through Z. This nonsensical organization riddled the store a virtual maze, and this wasn't helped at all by flow being impeded by boxes upon boxes. I'd wager this place has no clue what their inventory consists of.

It was around the letter "D" that I abandoned completely looking at the miscellaneous section under each letter, and simply stuck to the labeled title cards for popular bands they deemed worthy of showcasing with a dedicated section. Despite this, I found some good titles to walk away with.


I had to edit myself while at the store, putting back about ten CD's which I simply was not going to allow myself to buy. As it is, I bought too many.

On the way home, we also stopped at Wonder Books in Frederick, Maryland, which was not only on the way, but got us out of a traffic jam. I didn't take any photos here, but in conjunction with CD Depot, I've started my newest addiction collection.

I'm now on the hunt for DVD's (or VHS if necessary) which have 80's music videos on them. This concept piqued my interest a few weeks ago when my girl and I were watching a three hour block of music videos from the past, and really enjoying it. I'm sure this is a whole new rabbit hole I don't need to go down, but I've already broken ground with my shovel, and I'm well on my way.

Prior to departing College Park, we stopped at a local ice cream shop, Insomnia Cookies.


Mind you, we weren't necessarily hungry. We just love ice cream that much.


I got the deluxe s'more cookie with some kind of purple s'more flavored ice cream.


It was good, but way too big and rich. I got about half way before giving up.


Ready to be home, we continued our trip to there where much later we had dinner and birthday cake, and my girl gave me some really nice gifts. But, that's a post for later today.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment