Retro Spins: Queen - Flash Gordon



A classic film with a soundtrack from my all time favorite band, Queen? Yes please! It may very well be the first movie I ever watched on Laserdisc, and since then has been one I watch whenever it's available to stream. Flash Gordon is a film I really want to get around to owning one day on DVD.

Flash Gordon, an outer space fantasy adventure, is based on the world famous comic strip, which comes to life with action, romance, comedy, and music by the popular rock group Queen. When energy waves pull the moon out of orbit, threatening destruction of the Earth, Dr. Hans Zarkov makes a desperate rocket flight with two unwilling passengers - Flash Gordon, quarterback for the New York Jets, and lovely Dale Arden. Their destination is the planet Mongo, the source of the strange energy waves. Ruling over Mongo with primeval brutality is Ming the Merciless, who must be destroyed. Only one person can do it. He is Flash Gordon. - Back of the original VHS

The soundtrack to Flash Gordon is by no means the best material to come from Queen. In fact, it may honestly be the worst in terms of replay value. It does score high in the experimentation aspect, and also in the overall presentation with its mixture of music along with spoken dialog and sound effects. Now that I type this up, it kind of almost plays like a book on tape - or film on tape if you will. I suppose it also shows the bands versatility as musicians.

The album leads and closes strong with the songs Flash's Theme (later renamed to just Flash on the band's live and compilation albums) and The Hero. In between, it does have some tracks that stand up well on their own. Tracks such as Football Fight, Flash To The Rescue, Battle Theme and The Wedding March. However, for the most part, it can honestly get a little boring.

As someone who listens to every Queen studio album once a year, this album still gets a fair amount of playtime from me. Still, I sometimes cringe as I reach that 1980 era because I know after The Game it's coming up. Like I said, it's by no means their best and it's far from my favorite.

Don't get me wrong, it can be an enjoyable album if played in the right setting. Try sitting back in a chair with your eyes closed, and let the visions fill your head as the story unfolds.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment