Retro Spin: Miami Vice



During its prime, Miami Vice was a bit out of my wheel house. I was busy watching shows like He-Man and G.I. Joe and not prime time police dramas. Mind you, it wasn't for lack of trying. It was just over my head.

One thing I did retain from the show was that killer theme song. It's instantly recognizable from the first set of notes.

I'd known for quite some time there was a soundtrack out for the show, but never really bothered getting around to it. It wasn't until I went looking for Glenn Frey's You Belong To The City that this album really landed on my radar. The reason for this was, while it's available on compilation albums, this was the first album you could get it from. Couple with all the other great tracks I saw on the back of the CD, it became a, pretty much, instant buy at that point.

While the majority of the soundtrack has instrumental music from Jan Hammer, other stand out contributions are Phil Collin's In The Air Tonight and Tina Turner's Better Be Good To Me. True, these songs are available on these artists respective solo albums. However, it's great to have them here too as a break between the instrumental tracks.

Overall, the album is by no means mind blowing. I added the Miami Vice Theme and You Belong To The City to my iTunes and iPod shuffle. I didn't add Collin's or Turner's contributions as these tracks are already there from their above mentioned solo albums. Still, the album is worth, at least, a listen.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment