Retro Spins: Warrant - Cherry Pie



Oh wow. I forgot how much I liked this album. I haven't heard Warrant's Cherry Pie since the days of my brother blaring it over his stereo speakers. However, unlike the majority of his music, I actually really liked when this one got played.

It all starts out with the album's iconic hit, Cherry Pie, which debuted at number ninety-seven in September of 1990. The song peaked at number ten before dropping back down. From there, it leads into my favorite track, Uncle Tom's Cabin. This track, while it charted, only managed to do so at number ninety-three and was gone the following week.

I Saw Red, is the perfect example of how to do a ballad correctly. Not only is it a great song, but it also went to number ten on the charts. Though there are other great tracks to be found, Blind Faith is the only other song from the album to chart. Much like Uncle Tom's Cabin, it debuted and disappeared in one week at number ninety-nine.

Cherry Pie is one of the last great hair band albums, before the grunge scene dominated everything, changing the music world forever in the process. It's pretty solid from start to finish with thrashing riffs and catchy tunes.

By track six, I had added all of them to my shuffle mixes for later re-listening. By the end, I had added ten of the twelve. The only songs which didn't make the cut were Train, Train and Ode To Tipper Gore.

However, that last track isn't exactly a song. It's just fifty-five seconds of live obscenities aimed at Tipper Gore for her PMRC campaign. The history surrounding that campaign is an unfortunate one, but it's worth checking out if you don't know much about it.

As for the album, that about wraps it up. I really can't say anymore than I have, but clearly, I liked it a lot. It made me go digging into the history of the band's discography a bit and I found they had a debut album from 1989, Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich, which I picked up for a few bucks. By the time you read this post, I'll probably have listed to it and written a Retro Spin on it.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear about an album which hit it big with you. I only know Cherry Pie. Will have to listen to the rest. Ha - I read about the Tipper Gore stuff on wikipedia a few years ago. I remember it going on at the time but didn't really pay attention. Crazy stuff. Resulted in the exact opposite of what they wanted to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that campaign totally backfired on them.

      Delete
  2. This is a very solid album but think Dog Eat Dog tops it for me.

    ReplyDelete