Retro Spins: White Zombie - La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One



It was the summer of 1995, and a buddy of mine from high school had me over to his house to visit. Out of all the friends I had, he was always the one who was the most well off. He was the first out of all of us to have a car, his parents always made sure he had money in his pocket, and he never really wanted for anything. He was also the only guy I knew who owned a Panisonic 3DO.

At $699.99, it was the most expensive video game console in America at the time. It was aimed at a specific type of gamer - The wealthy one...Or the child of the wealthy.

Though the games sported fantastic "realistic" graphics for its time, I personally always found them to be clunky. As such, none of the games really impressed me all that much. I was content to go home and play my Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo.

One of the games we did play a little bit of during my visits was Way Of The Warrior, a fighting game ala Mortal Kombat visuals and fatalities. The game itself was garbage. What kept me enthralled was the fantastic soundtrack I kept hearing throughout the intro and stages.

I don't remember how I found out, but I did. The soundtrack to Way Of The Warrior wasn't just video game music, but tracks from an album which had been released in 1992. That album, La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Volume One by White Zombie. Very soon after that, I purchased both that album and their 1995 Astro-Creep: 2000 – Songs of Love, Destruction and Other Synthetic Delusions Of The Electric Head on cassette. I played them both to death, and eventually had to upgrade to CD copies.

Fast forward to August 1996, and White Zombie becomes the first concert I ever go to. Unfortunately, due to temperatures in the 110 degree range, it was so hot that we left before the show even started. To this day, I swear we would have gotten heatstroke if we hadn't made that decision. It was so miserable. Disappointing too.

Sadly, White Zombie broke up in 1998 and I never got an opportunity to try and see them live again.

When I started putting my CD collection back together back in 2017, La Sexorcisto was a top priority album for me. It had been about twenty years since I'd heard it, and I was eager to see if it had withstood the test of time. I was pleased to see it had. I enjoy it now just as much as I did when I was younger.

Hearing it now, you can definitely pick up on Rob Zombie's love for movies. All the interludes and outros which are inner cut with dialog from classic "B" films seemed odd to me back in the day, but it didn't deter me from enjoying the album. However, now that I've seen where Zombie has gone on to in his career, it all makes more sense, and fits all the more because of it.

Ironically, for has much as I love the 80's and White Zombie, I've never bothered trying to track down their two albums from the era. I've never heard anything off of them, and I honestly can't say as I have any interest to. My White Zombie time frame is firmly locked in at 1992 to 1995.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment