Retro Spins: Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill



In the summer of 1995, Saturday and Sunday in my parents house were signified by my brother waking up the house to a blaring Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill. I heard this album so many weekends over the course of the remainder of the year that I wanted to smash it by Christmas.

Even as I type this I can hear that guitar and harmonica intro of All I Really Want.

When the album first dropped, it was actually pretty okay. It was raw, edgy, angry...Everything the opposite of what I said about last week's Arrested Development. However, when you hear the same thirteen songs, sometimes two to three times a day every weekend for twenty-one weeks, it wears thin...Fast.

This Retro Spin is actually the first time I've heard the album since my brother finally retired it - which wasn't for a year or two after getting it. Hopefully enough time has passed that I can find some enjoyment in it...

...I can't. I really honestly can't.

As I start listening to it, I immediately noticed a couple things:

1) The album still grates on my nerves from being overplayed.

2) Alanis Morissette can't sing. She sounds like a yodeling donkey that's been kicked in the head. Her voice cracks and strains left and right throughout each song. It's almost shrill to my ears.

I made it to the one minute thirty second mark of song two before I said, "I just can't. I've had enough." I couldn't take it. I had to shut it off. The songs were coming off as a cross between whining and nagging - Two things I really have no patience for hearing and Morissette's grating voice wasn't helping matters.

It's a shame really. With how many accolades and awards this album has won, I want to feel like there's a solid album in there somewhere. I just can't bring myself to be subjected to finding out. I don't think I ever want to hear Jagged Little Pill ever again. 

I went ahead and let my brother know he'd thoroughly killed this album. He was pleased with himself.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Still one of my favorite albums to this day and one of my favorite singers. She's definitely different, but love her work. Think I'll play some right now....

    ReplyDelete