G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout

 

There's a new G.I. Joe game in town, Operation Blackout. For $39.99 or $49.99 (deluxe edition) you can either download or purchase a physical copy for Xbox One, Playstation 4 or Nintendo Switch.

The game features iconic Joe and Cobra characters, such as, Duke, Snake Eyes, Scarlet, Roadblock, Destro, Cobra Commander, Baroness, Storm Shadow and a handful of others. However, that's where all the good things I can say about this game end.

The controls are absolutely terrible. Despite saying the game features an auto lock system, I didn't experience any sign of this. In fact, when I read it after playing part of the level, I found myself saying, "There's a lock on system? Is it on?" It was, it just stunk.

The enemy AI is generic in all basics of the term. For the most part, they all look the same, with only the slightest of variation in design very sporadically sprinkled about. They're also dumb as rocks. You could literally walk through this game if you wanted to.

Unfortunately, the CPU AI on your team isn't any better. Each level involves two Joe or Cobra characters working side by side to complete the mission. However, if you utilize the CPU as your partner, it will contribute nothing. To get around this, you can play co-op. However, only via couch co-op. Online co-op is nowhere to be found, and in this day and age of gaming, this is inexcusable. Especially in a game designed to be played as a team.

While I've only played the first level so far, the level design was so on the rails that I felt bored with it. It features game play, and quite frankly, graphics, straight out of the Playstation 2 / Xbox era. It was so dull that by the end of the mission I could care less about playing any further.

As I scrolled through the bios of the characters, I noted that each one had multiple weapon and body skins which could be unlocked either by finding hidden collectibles, game progression or completing certain levels with certain characters. Here in lied another problem. Many of the skins involved completing the same levels, just with a different Joe or Cobra. Ugh. The game doesn't feel worth playing once. I certainly don't want to do it twice!

If this were a twenty dollar budget game, I could potentially see some value here. However, at $40.00, or more for the deluxe edition, this game is nothing short of a complete rip off. I don't recommend this game to anyone. Not even hard core G.I. Joe fans. The only thing I think this will do is disappoint you. I know it certainly did me.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's pretty dull overall. The story is decent so far, though it's definitely a very budget affair. I will say that it's simple enough and non-violent enough (just lasers and robots) that I'm able to play it through with my 7 year old. She's enjoying it so far as it's her first shooter and her first real encounter with G.I. Joe other than looking at my figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely kid friendly. But that's the challenge most developers face when making a game based on an 80's property. It has to be kid friendly, but at the same time needs to provide a challenge for adults. This game only succeeds at the kid friendly part.

      Delete