Retro Spins: The Jackson 5 - Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5

 

Five brothers, a determined father and the Motown sound would soon create one of the greatest artists of all time. A man who not only released the greatest selling album of all time, a spot held even today, but someone who when he passed would send the entire world into mourning. I'm of course talking about Michael Jackson and the group he fronted, The Jackson 5.

Though many people often attribute Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5 as the first recordings from the youth group, there is actually another. One which has only recently seen the light of day. 2009 to be exact. This "album" entitled The Steeltown Recordings, featured a nine year old Michael and his brothers laying down tracks such as Big Boy, Under The Boardwalk and My Girl. However, none of these had the punch that Motown would soon pack.

Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5 may give the impression that the female Supreme singer discovered the group. However, this was more so a marketing tactic. Motown knew how to utilize already established acts / stars to promote new talent, and this worked out well for The Jackson 5.

However, this would quickly prove to be unnecessary. Entering the charts at number ninety in November of 1969, I Want You Back rapidly shot up to the number one spot by January of the following year, becoming their first of soon to be many number one hits. Who's Loving You would join the track on the charts, but only make it to number fifty-five. Though they never charted, Standing In The Shadows Of Love, You've Changed, My Cherie Amour and Stand are solid tracks unto themselves.

Admittedly, this is not my first time hearing this album from start to finish, but I wanted to give it one more listen as I wrote this post up. This turned out to be a good thing, as I found out that the latter four tracks mentioned above were no longer in my shuffle list. That was something I definitely needed to rectify and did.

So far, I'm really enjoying going back into the annals of rock history. While I've started with the 60's, I'll definitely be jumping around a bit to the 70's, and even the 50's. I want to hear all those classic debut albums from the likes of Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix and more. Keep it tuned here to join me for my reviews.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment