Superman The Movie: Series One (Topps)



Superman The Movie: Series One
Topps
1978

Christopher Reeves will always be the one true Superman to me. Yet it saddens me to admit, I can't sit through the original Warner Bros. movies anymore. They're kind of boring. Classics, but I don't know, they just take too long to get going. Especially the first one.

Still, the imagery of the film excites me, which is what makes Topps' 1978 series so awesome to thumb through. You get all of that Superman goodness in cardboard form, without having to sit through the two hours (plus) film.


Each pack of course starts with that fantastic waxy feel. Within, you'll find ten cards, one sticker and that powdery gum stick, which we ate in fistfuls as kids.

The cards themselves feature a fantastic white and red border with the silver Superman logo emblazoned at the bottom left corner. Interesting though, is that the cards don't follow any form of chronological order of the film. A complete set of base cards includes seventy-seven in total.













Topps always found a way to incorporate stickers into their trading cards throughout the 70's and 80's, and that was no exception for Superman. Six fantastic stickers in total were produced, which featured a whole lot of Superman and Clark. That blue background and red border with the yellow text box pops in your face, screaming SUPERMAN!


I don't know when Topps started producing foil chase cards. However, I know this was definitely one of the firsts for me. I'd never seen a foil card, and it blew my young mind away.


Though it's fun to open these packs, even today, it's not so fun to pay upwards of $100.00 for a box of them. For those of you not wanting to pay top dollar, you can have the work done for you, and nab a perfectly mint set of all the cards, stickers and foils for as little as $25.00. Granted, you don't get the giddy joy of opening packs and seeing what's inside for yourself...or the gum.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I love this set. Christopher Reeves is all over it and that's great! He's my one and only Superman.

      Delete