Retro Spins: The Waterboys - The Waterboys

 

What do I know about The Waterboys? Honestly, not much. I came across them 2022 while perusing and samplings songs from Future Flashback's 10,000 80's songs playlist. Though he's not posted since 2023, his 2016 list has been an incredible source for finding music from the era I either didn't know or had forgotten about.

It was from that list that I came across the tune, The Whole Of The Moon. Its unique sound resonated, and I quickly tracked down the album it was from, 1985's This Is The Sea.

From there, I found even more from them, including my favorite (so far) The Pan Within. That's all been talked about before in my Retro Spin on the record.

Ironically, though I found them enjoyable, I never really looked into anything else from them. I did, however, come across another album from them in the wild during my birthday of 2022, that being 1988's Fisherman's Blues. While I added it to my collection, still I made no effort to look into them further. It wouldn't be until June of 2026 that I'd finally focus my attention back on them, and actively seek out their 1983 self-titled debut, and 1984 follow-up, The Pagan Place.

That brings us to today, and my next series of Retro Spins.

Though I didn't know what to expect, I was hoping things would stay relatively grounded in the familiar territory I was introduced to with their 1985 album. By this, I mean I was wanting to hear fantastic melodies, driven by acoustic guitars, piano, and violins, all enveloped in the haunting, and strangely poetic vocals of Mike Scott.

I'm pleased to say all of that is exactly what I got.

No, you won't hear mainstream rock here. In fact, as a whole, they've only had three minor hits on the Billboard Hot 100, and those didn't come until much later. Specifically, 1989's Fisherman's Blues (the song), which peaked at seventy-six. From there, two additional singles would chart in 1990, and 1993. These were Room To Roam (charting at one hundred eighty), and Dram Harder (which landed at one hundred seventy-one).

However, if you want to hear beautifully crafted music, created by musicians who know what they're doing, or you simply want to hear something different, check out The Waterboys. Standout tracks from their debut, for me, were December, Gala, I Will Not Follow, The Girl In The Swing, and Savage Earth Heart.

I'm going to keep riding this wave, and dive right into their next album. I'm hoping to continue the trend so far of discovering fantastic new music.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment