Today, I'm circling back to Talking Heads. When I first touched on them in 2023 with 1983's Speak In Toungues, I only owned three of their five 80's albums. Though I would eventually rectify that, with my ever growing back catalog of albums to play through, I only briefly came back around to them for their final released Naked (1988). On the latter, I also did a dive through of their history. As such I don't have much to say at this point, and instead, will just dive right in.
Remain In The Light hooked me relatively quickly. I don't know what I was expecting, but was I got was almost tribal art rock.
David Byrne brings his quirky lyrics and vocal styles, while also working in conjunction with Jerry Harrison to layer in just enough guitar rock to aid each song while not turning it into a full rock and roll song.
Tina Weymouth delivers an amazing bass riff over every track and adds complimenting vocals that work in harmony with Byrnes, while also playing to her own kooky strengths.
Chris Frantz sets the pace of each tune with a drumming style that is anything but common. No traditional Beatles drumming here. Whether fast or slow, he's working his way around the entire drum kit, not limiting himself to the bass, snare and high hat.
When combined together, it creates a unique sound that candidly I can't think of anyone who rivaled or even met it at that time. I can honestly see why Remain In The Light has received so much praise. It's fantastic from start to finish, and yes, you even get the hit, Once In A Lifetime. Ironically, this song never actually charted when it was initially released. Instead, it was a live version from 1984's Stop Making Sense that would, and even then, that wasn't until 1986.
Playing through this album makes me wonder if I missed anything during my previous two Retro Spins, and depending on how further listening sessions go, I may have to go back to them for a second try. My initial stance was that the quirkiness impeded me getting into them, but it turns out, that may have been the actual selling point.
Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.
Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:
Post a Comment