Big Lick NOVA 2024 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

 

When Big Lick 2024 was first announced, it came with word that the show would be a reunion for the cast of the 80's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon. This was all I needed to hear to purchase my tickets in advance.

However, as the show drew closer and closer, I really started to shift my mindset. I was no longer necessarily interested in their autographs. The main reason I felt this way was because I saw it getting too expensive, and that really wasn't where I wanted to allocate my budget for the show to. Rather, I waited patiently as further announcements were made, and instead opted to focus on the comic book creators who were coming.

Even as the final week for the show slowly ticked by, I really didn't have any interest. I reluctantly packed a few DVD related items to take with me for the sole purpose that if the mood randomly struck me, or I couldn't find anything else at the show, purchase wise, that I might, a very skeptical might, get something signed.

I had previously gotten Renae Jacobs to sign my Complete Collections DVD cover at Retro Con 2022. So, this was actually the only thing I intended on bringing with me to the show. As you can see, I did end up pulling the trigger, and getting the rest of the guys to sign off on it, putting their autograph, and respective character name. I was glad I did. To have these all together really looks cool.


Prior to going across the convention hall to the actors section, I got all my comic related stuff taken care of, which was also the area where Guy Gilchrist was sitting. As I finished up with him, he asked me, "Is there anything else I can do for you?" To which I thought for a moment, and then that's when I pulled out the other item I brought with me.

Though not directly involved with the show, more on that below, I asked if he would sign the bottom of the turtle van, which also serves as the case for a different set of the complete series. When he did this, he also added an awesome piece of artwork to it. That was really all it took. Now I was going on a mission to get the other cast members to finish signing it.


I asked each member to not only sign, but write a quote, and put their character names, each in their respective colors. I really dig how the end result looks like the van was hit with graffiti. What also stood out was how friendly and personal each member of the cast were.

That last statement will now make little sense because this is where I say Cam Clarke was actually the least memorable of all of the cast members. While he was friendly, he wasn't as outgoing as the others. He stayed seated, shook hands, signed, and then moved on to the next person as quickly as possible.

I remember his queue more than I remember him, and that's because of the guy in front of me who fell on the ground. As people scrambled to help him, he informed them he had kidney issues, and hadn't drank any water while at the show.

"Leonard Leads!
Cam Clark
Leo

Barry Gordon and I actually had a couple of moments together. The first was when he spilled his soda on his table, and I handed him the paper towels I was carrying in my sweatshirt pocket. Always be prepared! The guy in line in front of me was kind of a jerk about it. When I stepped back in line, he laughed and said, "Risking losing your spot in line to be nice?" To which I responded, "Yeah, but I'll be memorable to him."

Barry and I then had a second moment when we talked about The Color Purple movies and soundtrack. What was comical about this was that he tried to have that conversation with said jerk in front of me, but the topic went over his head. I totally bogarted his moment with Mr. Gordon, and he knew it. At least that's what the dirty looks he kept side eyeing me with said.

"Be Chill, Homeboy!"
Barry Gordon
Donatello

Rob Paulson refused to sit behind his table. Instead, he stood in front of it greeting every single person with a handshake, asking their name, and having a conversation. He'd do voices of the characters people were there to have items signed for, and smiled widely the entire time. He was thoroughly engaged with the fans, and genuinely seemed happy to be there.

"Turtle Power"
Rob Paulsen
Raphael

Renae Jacobs sadly didn't have many people at her table. I don't know why fans would get the four turtles to sign something, but then give her a proverbial middle finger. She was just as much a part of the show as them. For those who did go to her table, she was very kind, and offered to have photos taken. In fact, she was the only one of them who didn't charge if you wanted a photo. She seemed thrilled that I gave her the main top area of my item to sign, even making a comment about how she's typically relegated to a small out of the way area when signing for people.

Townsend Coleman seemed the second most energetic between he and Rob. While he did sit behind his table when signing, he initially stood up and walked around to the other side for every single person who came, just to shake their hand and greet formally. He had the most fun when kids were at his table, and would get them to shout out catch phrases with him. His was also the slowest moving line because he appeared to have one and a half times the people as the other three guys.

"Turtle Power!"
Renae Jacobs
April O'Neil

"Cowabunga Dudes!!"
Townsend Coleman
Mikey

And now we flip the item over to show you the doodle and signature of Guy Gilchrist I showed last week. Guy seemed a little hurt that he had been relegated to the comic book creator side of the show, and not sitting with the cast members of the show. I told him that I'd be happy to grab one side of the table, and help him move it over there, to which he responded, "We (referring to his assistant) almost did that this morning."

I can understand the reasoning Big Lick did this. As I said above, Guy didn't work directly on the show. Instead, he was the publishing manager, and sometimes artist, on a series of TMNT kids books that utilized the same look and design as the show. While this did sometimes involve editing scripts down to kids story book sizes for publishing, the series also included original work. As such, while related to the show, it wasn't necessarily part of it.

An awesome turtle doodle and signature
from Guy Gilchrist

Honestly, though, it worked out for me. I don't know that the signing of this piece would have worked out the way it did if I hadn't visited his table first. Like I said in my post last week, it was kind of a last minute decision to have him sign it, and that's what prompted me to get the rest of the signatures. Otherwise, I may very well have skipped it.


While Guy Gilchrist was my most favorite interaction of the day, getting my turtle van DVD case signed was the highlight item. This thing looks so awesome with everyone's signatures, blurbs, and character names. This is definitely the centerpiece of my cartoon DVD collection.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

No comments:

Post a Comment