Retro Spins: Timbuk 3 - Greetings From Timbuk 3



It's moments like this when I have to step back and tell myself that my impulsive buying habits need to be reigned in and my obsessive compulsion to recreate the 80's has gotten out of control. Why? Because I buy a lot of CD's which feature iconic songs from the era, yet when I get down to the root of it, they're not even songs I like.

Take for example today's Retro Spins. Timbuk 3 hit it big with their one hit wonder, The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades. I hate this song. It's annoying. It's so bad that even Apple rejected it when I inserted the CD to rip to iTunes, stating nothing could be found about the album. No artist, tracks, nothing. So not only did I have an album I didn't particularly want, but now I had to manually enter in every minute detail about it to get it to rip? You know I wasn't happy about that.

Still, I fired up the disc and gave it a listen. I felt there had to be something on it that was worth the four bucks I paid for it.Right? RIGHT?

I won't say I hated it. What I will say is it sounded like those people who go to farmer's markets or public gatherings to play and sing, because that's the only way they would be able to "entertain" people. At times, I also felt like I was listening to a rejected children's album for pre-schools.

What Greetings From Timbuk 3 has is a unique sound. Now before you get excited, I won't say that's a good thing. It's just different. Overall it was definitely one I could have passed on.

Timbuk 3 trudged along for six more albums, releasing their final in 1995. Of them, none had any top forty hits beyond their initial success with the long winded Shades titles song, peaking at number nineteen. Since then, the band has disappeared into obscurity.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

2 comments:

  1. So what you're saying is the future wasn't bright for Timbuk 3, or you listening to them.

    ReplyDelete