Retro Spins: Buckner & Garcia - Pac-Man Fever



Like video games? Specifically vintage arcade? Well, then you may want to give Buckner & Garcia's Pac-Man Fever a try. Each of its eight tracks is specifically crafted around the theme of an arcade classic, or better stated, an arcade hit of its time. It was, after all, released in 1981.

Pac-Man Fever, the song, would eventually lead to a number twenty-four chart topper for the duo. Not bad, considering it was a song about a yellow sprite. In fact, the album itself isn't all that amazing either. It reminds me of something which a preschool teacher would play, reluctantly, for a class of three or four year olds while they jump around on a carpet in circle time.

For what it's worth, it's unique. I can honestly say I've never seen a full album based around the premise of nothing but video games. The developers of the games must have been ecstatic of the free advertising.

This is not the kind of album I imagine took very look to see to fruition. The lyrics are basic, often times doing nothing more than describing the games themselves. However, despite this, the guitar work is noticeably pretty solid with some decent licks. I can't say as I hated it as a whole. It was interesting to hear because of how different it was. With that said, I won't be initiating listening to this ever again. There's nothing I heard which screamed, "Replay!"

Despite the nostalgia of the 80's, Sony Music Entertainment has declined to issue a CD release of the album. It's because of this that the duo reunited to record and release an all new mix of the album in 1999. While some see this as an opportunity to finally own a solid digital recording, I sadly look at it as disappointing. I'm not a fan of this because I feel it ruins the integrity and intent of wanting to own this album. I want a piece of nostalgia, not a re-visioned one.

Sadly, if you want the original of this one, you're going to have to look for a vinyl or cassette version. Fortunately, they're readily available. Not only that, but they're also considerably cheaper than the re-released CD version, which can cost you as much as $100.00! Brand new / sealed 1981 released vinyls and cassettes sell for as little as $8.00 (or less). Though I have seen some sell for more, around $25.00. Still this is much cheaper. Plus, why would you pay so much for a CD when it's not even the original recordings? That's just dumb.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

2 comments:

  1. I was thrilled to get the cassette of this as a kid and I unironically love most of the songs. Of course this could just be the fact that I was exposed to it during the golden arcade age and was a kid.
    The songs are simple but each one is catchy in it's own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give you that. The songs are definitely catchy.

      Delete