Retro Spins: Yes - 90125



Yes....Mmm....No.

I'm confused by what Yes's style of music is. It feels very rock opera, but without an actual story in place. Or rather, if there is, I completely missed the point. I didn't hate 90125. I just didn't understand what the band was going for.

Of the nine songs on the album, I can pretty much start and stop with track one, Owner Of A Lonely Heart. It's the reason I bought 90125, and it's the only thing I came away with after hearing it.

I've seen it stated that essentially one would appreciate this album more if they had an understanding and appreciation for prior Yes records. However, I have to argue that point. While that may be true, any album should stand on its own. I shouldn't have to like a band in general to be able to enjoy a random album from them. In fact, I would dare say that doesn't make them good. It just makes them familiar, and therefore, tolerable. You know, kind of how Queen fans give Hot Space a pass because it's Queen. Doesn't make it a good album on its own merrit.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't like "Owner of a Lonely Heart" much because they overplayed that song back in the day. However, "It Can Happen" is still one of my all time favorite songs from the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They still over play it. It is the only song from Yes on the radio.

      Delete