Retro Spins: Goombay Dance Band - Sun Of Jamaica



Come on, let's keep traveling abroad for some albums of the 80's. Today's comes from the shores of Germany from the band Goombay Dance Band. Specifically, their 1980 debut album, Sun Of Jamaica. This one take me back to Springbok Hit Parade, volume 48.

The Goombay Dance Band featured a soca / calypso style sound, very familiar among the islands of the Caribbean. This was sprinkled in with just enough of a hint of pop to bring them commercial success in the 80's. Their most popular songs, Sun Of Jamaica and Aloha-Oe, Until We Meet Again helped the band sell over eleven million albums.

While the band continued annual albums through 1982, their success would quickly decline. This would cause them to take a hiatus, returning in the 90's to zero commercial success. Since then, the only releases have involved some form of compilation album.

Okay, so now that you know about this relatively forgotten band, let's dig into the actual album.

Of the various unearthed 80's albums I've been going through these past few weeks, I do have to be honest and say that Goombay Dance Band is definitely the bottom of the pile. Sun Of Jamaica is okay, but it's not necessarily good. The two aforementioned hits above are both on this album, and unfortunately, are the only decent tracks.

Calypso music is an acquired taste for sure and I don't necessarily think it's for me. Mind you, I don't hate it. However, I also don't see myself clamoring to hear it every day, week, month or even annually. Small doses are definitely in order here.

Even at forty-two to forty-five minutes, this twelve track album felt unending. It was around track eight that I had finally reached my full and had to start skipping songs. After sampling a few seconds of each of the remaining ones, I cut my loses and called it a day. I just couldn't take anymore.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment