Retro Spins: DJ Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince - Rock The House



DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
Rock the House
1987

I don't personally know when Will Smith became a household name and a top contender for his own television show. However, I know it wasn't in 1987 when he and his pal Jeff released their debut album, Rock the House. Though the album found a small following thanks mostly to its lead track, Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble, nothing found any love in the charts.

For me, what I found most appealing about DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince was that they were obviously there to have fun. Their songs weren't about drugs, sex or violence. Rather, they focused on being almost comedically entertaining. It's as if they were blatantly telling other rappers, "We're not here to be serious." I think it was because of this that the duo were able to break barriers of color so easily.

Sadly, if you're looking to grab the original version of this album you're going to have to track it down on the 1987 vinyl or cassette. The reason being that when the album was released on CD for the first time in 1988 (thanks to the success of the duo's follow up album He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper) the song Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble was re-recorded and released only in an extended remix format.

It was this version which would finally enter the charts in October of 1988, again, because of the success of the duo's follow up album. However, the success was short lived as the song would debut at the number ninety-three spot, but be back off the charts by the following week.

I enjoyed the album as a whole. Mainly because (as I said above) it was fun. It was lighthearted, comical at times, groovy at others and overall good. Every song, either as a whole or in part, had something enjoyable for me. Granted while I won't be grabbing all of them for my iPod or iTunes 80's mix, I will be adding a few tracks; Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble, Just One of Those Days, Rock the House, The Magnificent Jazzy Jeff and A Tough of Jazz.

Definitely looking forward to hearing more albums in the near future.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments:

  1. Great album! I've got it on CD and the original recording on cassette with the uncut version of Girls Ain't Nothin' But Trouble. There are also some other small differences on the tape too. Fave track would have to be "Just Rockin'".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish artists would leave their work alone once they've released it. "You" made it like that for a reason. Why all the sudden does it need to be changed?

      Delete