Ended Up Opening My Kenner Beetlejuice Toys



From my post earlier today, I mentioned I wasn't going to open my Beetlejuice figures until I figured out what I wanted to do with them, display wise. Well, as antsy as I get, that didn't last long.

To be fair, the figures were all but falling off the cards already.


 Wow, these things suck. Between the minimal articulation and predetermined pose from the sculpt, you really can't do anything with these figures. Worst of all, the thing doesn't even fit right on the vehicle - again, due to the predetermined pose. Beetlejuice is nowhere near those handlebars.


The vehicle itself looks cool, and has a lot of play features, but it's too big for the figures. These figures would seriously have to be eight to ten inches tall in order to be properly proportionate to it. Knee and elbow joints would be a welcomed addition too so you could actually pose the figure on the bike properly.

Because the figures can't interact with it, it's kind of useless to the line. Which is a shame, because as I said, it really does look cool.


The stickers sat in the box for so long that they literally dried out and separated from the paper. I'm going to need some rubber cement to make this happen - If I bother at all at this point. Truthfully, it may just all go to the trash. I'm not thrilled with this toy line at all.


It's no wonder this toy line crashed and burned so fast. It's garbage! Oversized vehicles with stiff posed figures which can't interact with each other. Cool in theory, poor in execution. All of this equates to a pretty big failure from Kenner.

It's a sad day when the best thing to come with a toy is the catalog which advertises other toys you should have bought instead. Seriously though, this little booklet which came with the vehicle is pretty awesome. Tons of great toys from 1990 inside...and more Beetlejuice.


Based on a comment for this post, here are the pages of the catalog. 
















On a side note, I was able to pick up a Vanishing Vault, which you can see in the pages of the catalog above, for fairly cheap. I'll see if when I display the figure the way I am imagining it if it looks better. As for the cycle, probably won't be be keeping.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

6 comments:

  1. Every couple years I get an urge to start collecting the Beetlejuice tolyine. It definitely was an odd license but I kind of dig the designs. As a collector who would just fiddle around with these, review them, and pose them on a shelf, I thing I might dig them. The only one I've ever owned was the creepy crypt as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't know what the fate of these will be in my collection. I'm honestly not excited about them. I'll let you know.

      Delete
  2. Request: Can you scan the catalog? I am VERY intrigued!

    ReplyDelete