Birthday Outing



Today was a great day with my better half. It all started with a delicious breakfast at a local joint called Founding Farmers. I got the chicken and waffles. It was way too much food to eat. Because we were leaving from there for an outing, sadly, about half of it went to waste.


From there it was onto the Metro for a trip into DC to visit a place I have been wanting to go for a couple years, but to date never made it to...


Madame Tussauds!

Right from the entrance you feel like you're in for a treat as you walk down the stairs.


Of course after a hearty breakfast and hour long Metro ride, one also tends to have to use the bathroom. I got a huge chuckle from them, and just had to snap a couple photos.



The paint scheme reminded me of Nuka-World from Fallout 4!

I have to be honest, I was a little disappointed with the actual wax works. about 80 to 85% of the place was a Hall of Presidents and iconic figures from history. I mean, I guess this is great if you're big into history and in general the Presidents of the United States.

I went ahead and snapped photos of...Well...Everything.





















































I have to admit, after seeing so many wax figures just based on US history, I was excited to see just how much more Madame Tussauds had to offer.

Sadly, it wasn't much more, but again, I snapped photos. More so disappointing to me was that I didn't recognize who 3/4 of these people were.









Sorry, but this is NOT Michael Jackson. This was probably the worst rendering in wax of the limited people I recognized.



This was probably my favorite section of the museum. These people I know!








Who is your favorite Bond?



















Leaving Madame Tussauds, I can't help but feel like I missed my visit by about two decades. Like if I had visited in the mid to late 80's, or even the early 90's,  I would have been in nostalgia heaven. As for a visit today, I simply just don't know who these people are. It was a little sad to me, and I do hope somewhere out there all the icons I'm sure covered this wax museum from the past are being preserved somewhere for perhaps a nostalgic type event which will be held soon.

As we headed back to our neck of the woods, we stopped at a couple thrift shops which we'd never been in - Of course, on the hunt for CD's and toys.

I honestly never come across toys in the thrift shops around here. Well, let me rephrase - Good toys. They're usually junk. Now that I think about it, this is usually the case for the CD's too. 


First up was The Closet.


I was actually pretty impressed with this offering of CD's. The store had quite a few that if I were just starting my CD collection I would have grabbed. Things like the Top Gun Soundtrack, Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet and other great 80's titles. Unfortunately, I am not just starting my CD collection, and I had all of the CD's which I otherwise would have purchased.

Next up was The Bargain Loft.



This place did not have an impressive collection of CD's for sale. Nor did it have any toys.



If I was desperate to buy something, it would have been the two CD's I strategically placed at the top of the photo above. 



I wasn't desperate though, and left them both there.

It was pretty late in the afternoon at this point, and we were both getting hungry. My girlfriend already had a great spot picked out for us. A little Italian joint we really liked, but honestly hadn't been to in years.

Like all good meals, it started with a nice salad.


We also got some tasty clams in a lemon wine sauce with plenty of garlic.


For dinner, I got a plate of Veal Brunello. Translation, veal in a creamy Marsala sauce.


Looks delicious, but it was actually kind of bland. Definitely not the best dish I've had here.

After getting home and opening up some presents, and much later in the evening, I was surprised with a sweet birthday treat of cannolis and some kind of fruit tart...thing. My girl and I shared them all (with the dog of course).


Overall, it was a very nice day. If nothing more than to spend some time with my better half and get away from life for a bit. Was Madame Tussauds disappointing? Not really I suppose. It was disappointing I didn't recognize many of the faces, but again, it was all about just getting away from everything.

I'll share photos of all the fantastic gifts I received a little later this evening (around 11:00 PM).

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments: