As a youngin' in the 80's, Rod Stewart may have already been around for a decade, but he didn't hit my radar until the age of MTV. Specifically, with his tune, Infatuation from his 1984 album, Camouflage, and album I have already done a Retro Spin on. From there, he became more and more prevalent on 80's airwaves with hits like Love Touch, and Forever Young. Before all of that, I had no clue who he was, and you could easily have fooled me by telling me the aforementioned album was his debut.
Not being his first rodeo, it's no surprise that the album went platinum in multiple countries, while also peaking in the top ten to twenty across the world. From it came two Billboard Hot 100 hits, Passion (peaking at number five), and Somebody Special (seventy-one).
Stewart was also an early entry on MTV, with the video for She Won't Dance With Me being the third to broadcast on the channel's debut on August 1, 1981. Though the track included the "F" word, this was gotten around by the station by using a foghorn which sounded over the word, and a heron imposed over his mouth. These aspects were not included in the original video.
My first impression as things started up was how dated it felt. It captures a rock sound reminiscent of 1977 - 1979. Queen immediately came to mind in comparison. Still, this wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Rather, just unexpected.
Personally, I picked up this album for the hit, Passion, but I was expectant that something else would be found. It had to be. This was Rod Stewart. He's no slouch of the music industry.
The first tune that intrigued was the title track, Foolish Behaviour. At first, its lyrics caught me off guard:
Can I introduce myself?
I'm a man of panache and wealth
Sound in mind, body, soul and health
Why I wanna kill my wife?
I have this urge to take her life
Well...yeah, okay. I mean, you do you, I guess. Odd lyrics aside, it was actually a pretty catchy tune.
The second was, Oh God, I Wish I Was Home Tonight. Granted, this one was just okay, kind of sort of the better of the worse. But with that said, there's actually not anything bad on the album. At least not anything that I found myself wanting to skip but also wouldn't go out of my way to listen to again. Still, I'd say that overall, I was pleased.
Stewart would go on to release five additional studio albums throughout the 80's, and with exception of the above noted Camouflage, that's what I'm off to play through over the next few days. Join me, won't you?
Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.
Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.
And now, 31 Days Of Halloween!
I want to say that I first saw Critters with my sister way back in the day, but I don't honestly recall at this point. In fact, the only thing I really remember from it was how they combined into a ball and rolled all over the place eating everything as they went. Was that even the first film? Or was that the second?
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment