Retro Spins: Depeche Mode - Violator

 

Depech Mode is often considered one of the greatest new wave bands of the 80's, yet it's ironic that their album, Violator from 1990, features their most memorable tracks. Songs like Personal Jesus, Enjoy The Silence and Policy Of Truth are often mistakenly considered 80's songs, when in fact, they are not, all being featured on Violator.

While it was great to hear these three songs again, as a whole, Violator was just an okay album. It really didn't have anything that stood out beyond these tracks. Don't get me wrong. I wanted it to be great. There were tunes that were grabbing me momentarily, but they never seemed to drive it home. I would either lose interest or simply just not be all the blown away in the long run.

After hearing this, I did go and do a search for more hits from the band. Unfortunately, as it turns out, I don't know many. As a result, I don't necessarily see myself putting much effort into tracking down much more from the band. I already have their 1984 release, Some Great Reward, and would consider their 1981 Speak & Spell, and possibly their 1986 Christmas Island, but that's about it.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm not a big fan. I wish there was more I could say, but short and sweet seems to be the best course of action.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment