Mail Call!



If there is one thing these recent mail call posts have shown me, it's that I order too many things online. But, I suppose at this point, the damage is done. So with that said, here's today's post of packages received.


Before I jump in, I'd like to once again say that this post is going to be comics, comics and more comics. So if that's not your thing, sorry.

***Fun Fact*** This is where I initially tried out the "jump" option to test a new format. However, when I went to my site to review what I had just posted, I found myself being annoyed by having to click another button just to read it. So, it's gone. Probably never to return.

Okay, those of you still reading, I assume you're here for the comics. I'll start off with this little white package.


I'm slowly ticking away at those remaining twenty-three Marvel Team-Up issues on my list. MyComicShop.com has all but one of the remaining ones I'm looking for. In all honesty, I'll probably grab those next month and call it a day on this series.

This particular issue doesn't have much relevancy to it, in terms of being a key or anything. While it does feature the first appearance of Moondark, I'm sure most of you are asking, "Who?" in response to the character. I would be among you in that. I have no clue who he is either.


Next up is this brown box.


While I'm trying to limit the amount of Spider-Man based books I purchase post 1998, I have to admit I got itchy trigger finger on this one after seeing a Youtube video. I have no clue what the story is about, but when I found out that the top issue in the photo was a Walmart exclusive, I decided I had to have it.

I found this listing, which also included a regular edition, for relatively cheap and decided to go for it. It was upon receiving it that I realized the Walmart exclusive cover wasn't alone, but that there were two additional comics inside this pre-packed set. I"m now at a crossroads trying to determine if I want to open the pack, or leave it sealed. Decisions, decisions. It would be easier to decide if I knew what was actually in the package.


As I think on this more, I'll move on to the next package.


I have to admit, I really like when sellers go the distance on their packaging to ensure items are received in pristine condition - More on that subject below.


I purchased this lot for the three issues on top. The two Web Of Spider-Man issues were thrown in as an unexpected bonus. As the story often goes, too bad I had them already. If there's a bright side to this, I gave the neighborhood kids a box of duplicates yesterday, and they seemed to have been really happy about them. I'll toss these two at them as well when I see them.

I do have to kick myself a little on this one. My main drive in grabbing this lot was Annual 12 - The origin of Monica Rambo's Captain Marvel. At ten dollars for the lot, it was a steal...Until I slowed down, after buying it of course, and looked at the pictures. There is a huge chunk missing from the spine and back of the issue, rendering it all but worthless to me.

The bright side to this disappointment was that Annual 24 and 25 were on my want list. At the price I paid, I essentially broke even on what I would have paid for them individually with shipping tacked on. Still, I should have seen the signs that something was definitely wrong with the price versus the content, as I wouldn't have bought this lot knowing that issue twelve was in that state.


These last two packages are big key books that I had been itching to get. Which will lead into what I mentioned above about sellers taking the steps to package items nicely.

Let's start with this one first.


Nice sturdy box, and when opened, nice layers of added protection via additional cardboard, rolled up bubble mailers and the book itself was inside its own bubble mailer. Very nice.


The book itself is a graded The Amazing Spider-Man issue 46 - AKA the first appearance and origin of Shocker. The carbonite block raving about how it's a 4.5 will of course be removed and discarded. Useless to seal books in vaults that discourage reading. Still, this was the best condition book I could find which fell into my "affordable" range. I would have preferred to spend less and not get a graded version, but you know, impatient.


Which leads me to the last book, and the disappointment of the bunch.

I already established this book was a key issue. But let me take it a step further and also state that this book was the most expensive of the ones received in today's mail call. While I wouldn't normally state this, I'll go ahead and point out that this was to the tune of approximately $300.00.

With all these details in hand, I'm sure you can understand why receiving a padded yellow envelope stamped "Do not bend," with the words "Family Photos" written on it would be disappointing - To say the least. More on how that was followed up on below.


First and foremost, let me show you the book inside. The Amazing Spider-Man issue 31. This is the first appearance of Gwen Stacy and Harry Osborn. This has been a book on my want list since the day I wrote it. I honestly never thought I would actually get it, but am really glad an opportunity arose to do so. I'm even more so glad it arrived in good condition, considering the terrible packaging. So let me get into that a bit more.


I was so annoyed with the lack of care from the seller that I felt inclined to reflect this in the feedback. While I wasn't a complete jerk about it, pinging him with negative feedback, I did feel neutral was appropriate. Because I wasn't leaving positive feedback, I also felt it was appropriate to inform the seller directly as to why.

This is where I may have been a jerk. Rather than simply state my disappointment with the shipping, I opted for a visual aid in the form of the following two photos, which I sent to the seller.



Had this just been your average seller, I probably would have just cut to the chase and told them, "Your shipping option wasn't well received considering the price I paid for the book." However, a.j. collectibles has a strong presence on ebay, selling numerous high end comics. As such, I really expected better from them.

I'm sure if you asked any buyer if they would pay more for shipping to ensure care and attention was placed into packaging, most, if not all, would say, "Absolutely!" Especially when said items are of such high caliber and value.

Let's be honest here, in the world of The Amazing Spider-Man comics, this is a highly desirable issue and not one your average collector is buying on a daily basis - simply because of cost alone. The state this seller shipped it in was total ignorance and showed a great lack of care for not only his own products, but the condition it could have potentially been received in. This seller doesn't get a pass just because the item did arrive okay.

Further, to put the onus on the post office to ensure the package arrives intact by stamping it , "do not bend," and writing "family photos" on the package only adds to the level of ignorance and lack of care. As a dealer of comic books, especially high end ones, a.j. collectibles simply should have known and acted better.

For those of you wondering, as of this writing, I have not received a response from the seller. This really only drives home the point all the more that they don't care. I suspect they will block me on ebay. However, even if they didn't, this will be my first and last comic purchase from them.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

2 comments:

  1. Nice haul! I don't blame you for being annoyed at how that seller sent those comics! Shame on them!

    I see you didn't end up liking the jump break...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jump option did not speak positively to my instant gratification needs. :)

      Delete