Retro Spins: M + M (Martha And The Muffins) - Mystery Walk

 

After wrapping up their 1983 tour in support of their album Danseparc, founding members Martha Johnson and Mark Gane, decided they'd grown tired of the efforts needed to coordinate a band, and disbanded Martha And The Muffins. However, it was never the two's intensions to actually stop recording albums and performing. Instead, parting ways with members Jocelyne Lanois and Nick Kent was simply a way to take full creative control.

By this point, they were actively trying to change their group name to M + M and had even used both names on their previous album cover. Taking full authority allowed them to adopt this new moniker without pushback from any remaining members. Ironically, when they returned to the studio to lay down tracks for 1984's Mystery Walk, they would continue to utilize the services of producer, and brother to Jocelyne, Daniel Lanoise.

Further paradoxical was that in no longer having a band, they would have to bring in multiple instrumentalists to fill these now vacated rolls. In total, fifteen additional musicians were called in to record tracks alongside Johnson and Ganes. In their desire to not have to manage a band, they ended up coordinating an orchestra.

The album would garner them their biggest hit in years, Black Stations / White Stations, which would serve as a protest song against radio stations who refused to play certain music. Whether it helped or not, I don't know. What I am sure of is that it went to number two on the US dance charts and was also a hit in Canada. So too was their second single, Cooling The Medium.

Based on what I previously read, I was promised an album that shifted from new wave dance to electronic dance. So, where is that? Because opening track Black Stations / White Stations certainly isn't it. In general, I wasn't catching that vibe from any of the tracks which encompassed the album.

Black Stations / White Stations was followed by the second single, and the question of the day I asked myself. Is the song Cooling On Medium actually okay, or was it just the best of the worst? I'd like to think it was good, but regardless of that answer, I have no clue at all what's happening in the music video. But I suppose, that's the 80's for you. Quirky, and nonsensical at its best.

Overall, Mystery Walk was another mediocre listening session that only serves to make me want to get away from Martha And The Muffins. I'm so glad tomorrow is the last one. I have zero hopes that it's going to be any good, and frankly, I just want to listen to something else at this point. Anything other than M + M will do.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment