Cinnamon Toast Crunch Churros Cereal

 

When I saw two different flavors of Cinnamon Toast Crunch Churros Cereal in my local grocery store, I figured I'd grab them both. After all, each box was only $2.50. Not a bad price for cereal.

As so often is the case, the boxes sat on top of my fridge for a few weeks before I finally got around to opening them, and if you haven't figured it out by this post, today was that day. Rather than eat them separately, I thought I'd go ahead and make a half and half bowl, featuring both of them side by side.

Popping the tops open, I took a moment to give them each a sniff. The scent of cinnamon and sugar was quite strong on the "regular" version, as was the cocoa smell of the chocolate ones. Not a bad start. Picking a piece from each box, and giving them a pre-milk sample I noticed that they were definitely crunchy, but the immediate problem I had with the chocolate one was that it appeared to be dusted with unsweetened cocoa powder. For those of you who have ever eating this plain, you know it's an acquired taste.

Pouring milk over the cereal didn't seem to help this much. To put it bluntly, both boxes sucked. The "regular" flavor cereal had not flavor to speak of. It wasn't even sweet from all the sugar glazed around it. The chocolate one was horrible. Adding milk only served to compound the bitter taste of the chocolate, and the sugar glaze did nothing to offset this. The more I ate, the worse it got, and I honestly only ended up taking a few bites.

To make matters worse, the lingering aftertaste is horrible. It sits in the back of your throat like a bitter, muddy mess. The only thing I can think to counter this with is my cup coffee, which I am practically gargling with to help get rid of this.

Eating what little of this cereal that I did was so bad that I promptly went downstairs and threw both boxes in trash. This is the third and fourth boxes of cereal in a row that I've bought for a first time to try, and have thrown out. It's honestly making me want to stop trying new "brands".

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Churros, in both varieties, is a hard pass for me, and I recommend you too skip them.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

8 comments:

  1. I'll just stick with my Cap'n Crunch Crunch Berries....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yike...You must hate the roof of your mouth. :)

      Delete
  2. I think all these sugary cereals have the same base ingredients, just dressed up differently. They all leave you with a dry mouth and when coupled with the milk, leave your stomach bubbling shortly after. Your asking for trouble if your eating anything other than plain Cheerios with low fat milk in the morning 😉😆

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried Churros yet because I figured it was just taste like the original CTC in a different shape. Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it did, but I think the sheer size of each piece impacts whatever sweetness would otherwise be present. I also don't think the coating adheres well to the piece once in milk, which could have resulted in the bland flavorless experience I had with the "regular" cereal.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review. Bummer they are so horrible. I was less than pleased with the Mandalorian cereal I tried a few months back. Like, are these companies even trying....much less testing? Who's in charge of QC?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to wonder the same thing. The last few cereals I've had were awful. As if there was no taste testing. Bland and flavorless with an awful after taste seems to be the norm these days for "new" cereals.

      Delete