Retro Spins: Pet Shop Boys - Introspective

 

Pet Shop Boys seemed to always be at the forefront of synth-pop, somewhat leading the charge with New Order, Talk Talk, Yello, Depeche Mode and so many other. In fact, did you know that even Michael Jackson and Madonna are considered synth pop?

One of my absolute favorite things about listening to full albums is discovering songs I had forgotten about. This happened today while listening to Introspective. While it's an album I purchased for the fantastic rendition of Always On My Mind, I got a bonus treat from Domino Dancing. I would have never remembered this song in a million years had it not started playing. It was wonderful to hear it again after decades, and I quickly added it to my shuffle list. 

However, with regards to the aforementioned, Always On My Mind, it's key to note that the version from the studio album is not the radio play version that many are accustomed to from their favorite weekly top forty memories. Instead, this version is a whopping nine minutes, and while I admit it did take me some time to become accustomed to it, I do enjoy it more than the edited version. That's not to say that I still don't like the shorter cut. Instead, I just favor the groups original vision for the track.

Beyond this though, I didn't find anything within the album that necessarily blew my mind. The album was okay, but again, that's a problem. Maybe I'm just too picky, but I want more than just okay. I want songs that stand out, and that make me say, "Play that again!" This was not to be found here for me.

Oh well. I suppose two tracks out of six isn't bad.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment