Back To The Future Part II Skateboard (Valterra)



Back To The Future Part II
Valterra
1989

While I was by no means a skateboarder, I had one in the 80's. Didn't we all? I think they were state issued across the USA for anyone between the ages of eight and eighteen.

I remember, on one of those not to bright idea kind of days, locking a bike chain around the bar of the seat on my brother's bike. The intentions were for him to pull me on a skateboard down the street. It sucks how the smallest of rocks can ruin a good day, and even more so, how you always seem to find them on a skateboard. A sudden jolt which thrust me forward through the air and ending with a hard thud on asphalt resulted in a golf ball size bump on my forehead. I think that was the last time I ever got on a skateboard.

Still, skateboarding was all the rage among many of the kids in the neighborhood. It wasn't hurt by pop culture thrusting the concept down our throats in television and movies. Back To The Future pretty much lead the charge in that regard. As such, it was no surprise that boards would also be made available.

Valettra not only made boards based on the 1985 film, but also the one featured in it. However, these are a bit difficult to track down. Because of this, I instead thought I would focus on this amazing one from the 1989 sequel, Back To The Future Part II.


This one was unique in a way simply for the fact that it came in a box. Typically, boards were hung on pegboards, sometimes surrounded by heat sealed wrap, and didn't really display all that well. Adding the simple touch of cardboard packaging made these things pop on store shelves. Not only that, but it made them wrapping paper friendly for parents putting them under the tree or next to birthday cakes without it being obvious what was inside.

Even the design of the board was different from most skateboards of the era. It had a futuristic look to it, which I suppose makes sense considering the film it was tied into.


There's definitely a collector's market price tag attached to this board. They're not too common on secondary markets, and can easily set you back $200.00 loose and more for boxed ones. Oddly though, not by much. I've seen boxed ones sell for around $250.00.

Still this is far less than what you'll pay for an original Valterra board from the first film. Those can set you back anywhere from $600.00 to $750.00! To put it into perspective for you, most boards cost between $60.00 to $80.00. You don't start to see prices in the high hundreds to thousand range until you get into the professional boards market. These Back To The Future ones, while nice, are far from pro boards.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.