Today I'm looping back to Scorpions. They're a band I touched on initially back in 2023 with my Retro Spin of 1984's Love At First Sting. I, like many before me was introduced to the band with their monster hit, Rock You Like A Hurricane, which would be their biggest Billboard Hot 100 hit to date as of May 1984. It wouldn't be until 1991 that it was usurped by Wind Of Change, which went to number four.
My first album from the band was actually 1990's Crazy World, which featured the latter mentioned hit. In fact, if memory serves me right, I got it from Columbia House or BMG as part of the twelve CD's for a penny "deal".
By the time I started rebuilding my CD collection into the 80's tome it is today, there were two albums from the band which I wanted to add to my collection. Those were 1982's Blackout, and 1984's Love At First Sting. Beyond that, I had no interest. But as normally happens as I came across 1988's Savage Amusements at a used CD shop and picked it up. Despite having three of the four releases from the 80's, I actually didn't actively track down today's Retro Spin, 1980's Animal Magnetism until recently. And that's the story of how I got my 80's discography of Scorpions.
Before I dive in, can we just talk about the elephant in the room? Seriously, what's the deal with that album cover? Scorpions is a band who I've felt often conceive and select questionable covers, to the point that there are some I will never add to my collection.
Animal Magnetism certainly sounds like a Scorpions album. You know how some bands have a sound you can immediately pick up on? Yeah, that's what's going on here.
With that said, while it's decent, it's by no means amazing. Make It Real was really the only standout track for me, and candidly, at this point I don't even remember how it went. Part of this may be my own personal issue of current exhaustion, and overall lack of effort mentality as a result. Whatever it was, the album turned out to be mediocre at best.
Beyond that, I don't have much more to say about this one.
Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.
Disclaimer: They Toy Box does not endorse or contribute to piracy. Retro Spins posts are intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. None of the music discussed here is available for sale, downloading or distribution.
And now, 31 Days Of Halloween!
Back in the days of Blockbuster, and my first job working in a grocery store, I got into buying VHS tapes. This was thanks in part to a buddy of mine who was a major film buff. He was the kind of guy that every week he went to the theater to see what was new, rented a handful of tapes on the way home, and followed this up by hitting the video store to take buy a pile of tapes for his massive collection. He'd also be the first person I knew to get a DVD player, which was a big thing back then.
As for me and that Blockbuster, the manager at the store next door to my job was someone I went to high school with. This allowed me an opportunity to get a lot of tapes through him. Mind you, he didn't give them to me, but instead, allowed me to order copies, and most importantly, kept them behind the counter as I showed up weekly to pick up what I could afford until I finally got them all. It was through him that I obtained the complete run of A Nightmare On Elm Street films.
Freddy quickly became one of my favorite horror icons, with his movies constantly being put on in rotation. I personally stopped with Freddy Vs. Jason and never saw any of the ones that came after it, nor the television series. While the first will always be a classic, I think I favor the characters from part three, and the story arc built between that one and part four.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment