Monday, March 6, 2017

Round Robin Challenge: Licensed Snack Products REVISITED!



Don't worry, fellow bloggers. The Toy Box isn't turning into a food site. This is more so a one off thanks to fellow blogger 20 Years Before 2000. In his post on Licensed Snack Products, he did an excellent review of Andy Capp's Hot Fries.

In his post, he mentioned that ConAgra Foods not only made the Hot Fries version, but also the now discontinued Zesty Ranch, Pub Fries, Salsa, Hot Chili Cheese Steak and White Cheddar Steak Fries. I was kind of bummed out to hear that I had missed the wagon on trying some of these unique flavors.

However, there was hope. Your friendly neighborhood Spyda-Man also mentioned that Andy Capp's still came in two other varieties - Cheddar Fries and BBQ Fries.

I had no plans of actively seeking these two flavors out, but when fate intervened as I stopped into a deli for a sub, I couldn't ignore the calling. There on the shelf were all three flavors of Andy Capp's.

I swooped up the two nontraditional flavors (leaving Hot Fries behind), and paid for them with my sandwich. At $1.59 per bag, I kind of wish I would have grabbed the Hot Fries flavor just to do a through review. Oh well. It's not like I haven't had that flavor before.

I gently tore open the package of the BBQ Fries, and sniffed them. They had a very reminiscent BBQ scent to them. A tangy, brown sugar like smell that definitely hit the mark. Oddly enough, when I did the same thing with the Cheddar Fries there was relatively no scent to them.

Both corn and potato snacks were light and airy, giving them a nice crunch somewhere between that of your average potato chip, and your average corn chip. Makes sense considering they're a conglomeration of both.

The one on the left in the photo to the right is the BBQ flavor, and the one on the right is the cheddar one. You can see a hint of orangish red spice on the cheddar one, and a massive amount of it on the the BBQ one. I dare say that they were the same flavoring agent based on the color.

With my first few snack sticks I was really into the flavor. They both represented their namesake well. However, something odd happened after a few (too many) "chips". The flavor in both suddenly vanished. I could no longer distinguish the two flavors from each other because they both just tasted potato-ey. This was rather odd indeed.

I focused more so on my sandwich, and came back to them after a few bites, but the flavor didn't return. Really can't explain what happened.

In the long run, at $1.59 per bag you really can't go wrong. There were a lot of sticks in each one, and despite my best efforts I couldn't put much of a dent in either of the bags. The bag suggests that each one is three servings, but I dare say your average chip eater could probably get four to five servings out of one.
 

They were certainly a good pairing with my sub. No, that ain't no Subway sub. That's the real deal right there.

Click "HERE" to go back to the home page. For more posts related to this one, please click the labels below.

4 comments:

  1. I had a similar thing- opened a package of salted caramel combos, and the aroma was perfect

    and that was all there was. just aroma. the actual foodstuffs were bland and just off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get that. How can something smell great, but have no flavor. What is making it smell?

      Delete
  2. WOW! Great Find! I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fire me over your address, and I can get you some;

      thetoybox1138@gmail.com

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on this article. We ask that your comments be kept friendly in nature towards other readers, and please avoid using foul language as this is a family friendly site. For more information on our rules and regulations for commenting, please view our sidebar section entitled, "Tell Us What's On Your Mind". Thank you for reading our article.

Disclaimer

All logos, products, names, and descriptions are the property of their respective copyright and trademark holders. No infringement is implied. Photographs and articles (unless otherwise noted) are copyright of The Toy Box, and may not be used without prior written consent. This website and its pages herein are designed for educational purposes only. No items shown are for sale.



Market prices fluctuate daily, and the prices as listed herein are not intended to be a set point, but rather a benchmark of where prices were noted at during the time period in which the article in question was written/posted. The value of any item shown here is always subject to change based on supply and demand, as well as seller/buyer preference. We are not affiliated with any buyers/sellers, and have no influence on prices set by secondary market dealers or individual sellers.